Saturday, October 10, 2009

Before the snow falls

It's expected to snow this weekend and I wanted to give you a glimpse of what the Autmn looks like in Noyabrsk:


Most Russian cities consist mainly of large aparment buldings:


A few have color:


And here in Noyabrsk many have some decoration on the ends without windows (where the stairwells are). This one is celebrating 6o years of victory since the end of WWII:


This one is wishing peace to the earth:


Stray dogs are everywhere (even in the supermarket):


These are some views from the lakeside hotel:


I have never before seen a teepee in Russia (let alone two):


The trees lining the streets have changed color:


The main religions here are Russian Orthodox Christianity:


And Islam:


I went to prayer services in both of these houses of worship before I began working. It was nice to be with other people of strong beliefs. I like how they both approach God. The Russian Orthodox meeting has beautiful music and rich tradition, making the hour and a half of standing worth it. The Muslims have a beatifully active prayer meeting five times a day. They Imam at this mosque is looking for me to come back. I think I will soon.

5 comments:

See Mack Snow said...

OH, I'm jealous of your churching-up over there. And the picture of that dog made me laugh outloud. Hard.

The Onion said...

Remember that time everybody got pissed at us in Gilgit when we blew our cover by not knowing how the bowing/praying went? That kinda sucked.

Aaron said...

keepin it real.

Marcus said...

Oh yeah, Garret, I remember that. These guys are teaching me how to pray so the next time we're in that situation I'll be able to fit in. I can teach you if you want.

Emma said...

Beautiful colors in the leaves. I guess they are covered in snow now. How are you liking your camera? These are some great pics.