Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Siberia here we come!

And by "we" I mean "I".

There are a few instances in which I will deign to blog. Moving to the other side of the planet is one of them. I leave for Mother Russia in just a few short weeks and I couldn't be more pumped. I'll be living in Noyabrsk for a year and a half; that is if you call working in an gas field and spending your free time trying to warm your toes "living".

Actually, I'm pretty excited. From what I've read there are some indoor swimming pools in town so hopefully I'll be able to practice not drowning and and maybe get good enough to swim the English Channel when I get back. And there is ample opportunity to perfect my winter sports techniques. I do love cross country skiing. Maybe I can take up the biathlon.

I plan to keep in touch by blogging, email, and telephone. Hopefully I can keep my US number and use a VOIP application to make calls. I'll have to get a camera before I leave so I can properly document my adventures.

8 comments:

Jinjer said...

We (meaning Peter, the kids, and I) will miss you, but we are excited for you to have this new adventure.

Lindsay said...

oh marcus, sometimes i have fantasies of me and aaron and the babies showing up at your doorstep in siberia, all decked out in furs. (i guess i'm still stuck on those depictions of russians from 80s movies--please tell me they're true.)
also, be sure to bring your "for strength of youth" pamphlet (i love how they hand those out to people your age in singles wards). looks like Noyabrysk has a drug problem, and i don't want you coming back with necrotizing fasciitis from a bad needle.

Dave said...

Awesome!

Dave said...

Shapko Obizatilna....brat nada ;)

Flo said...

marcus I think you are possibly one of the only people we know who might actually stand a chance of having fun and enjoying life in the siberian wilderness. I know it's a town but it looks a bit scarily wildernessy to me. Anyway. We will follow your blog....please keep it up to date and organized or there'll be trouble and ENJOY SIBERIA as much as possible!
Love Kate and Flo

Los Hansen said...

Brrrrr......
Why didn't you apply for Veracruz? You could swim here without dodging icebergs. Give 'em heaven over there!

Con amor,
Pdte. (Bro.) Hansen

Aaron said...

yay blog great!

Fred said...

Beware of polar bears. I know you can make it as long as you have something fun/exciting to look forward to. Also find something good to eat (if that is possible).