Wednesday, December 16, 2009

my roflcopter goes soisoisoisoisoi

I went on a very long job to a remote location for one of our clients that is not a national oil company. This is the means by which I got to the job:

From the town where the helicopter was leaving from (we stayed 3 nights there):

A view from the helipad:

What I saw on the way to the job:

Apparently there are some winter roads that lead through the forest that we could have taken if we wanted to go the long way around:

Pasha, one of the operators I was working with:

Pasha was calling me Michael for a while. Which I fine I suppose, since to me it seems all the Russians are either Sasha, Misha, Dima, or Vanya and I confuse them all the time.

What one of the helicopter operators was wearing on his feet:

More of what I saw from the window:

X marks the spot:

How we were transporting all our equipment:

An abandoned hut at the well site:

This is Ivan, a pen pal I made there:

14 comments:

Lindsay said...

heli-cool.

Petra said...

Does everyone there look so Russian? You could be starring in a James Bond movie, given the people you're hanging out with.

teacherofart said...

Hi Marcus. Amazing blog! There are so many blogs out there that show you the most boring things from the most boring places and people. I'm really jealous. Great photos. Those light pillars are impressive. I'll probably put some in a drawing. Keep up this great blog.
later,
casey j smith

Jinjer said...

Looks like you are making some amazing memories in your time there. So fun to see your photos.

Unknown said...

Awesome!

Gareth said...

Love the ROFLCOPTER reference, you reckon I could get a pair of those shoes in Noyabrsk?

Dave said...

This is AWESOME! Love the starting photo with the Copter and Truck....so sweet with the snowy background. What an awesome adventure. Can't wait to see you in a couple days!

Ruth said...

very neat

Aaron said...

(*^&&*(^#^$@#(#!*E!_)(!@_(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emma said...

What a beautiful cold place! You weren't kidding about the "out of control" beard either. I'm sure we will see some icicles on that thing coming off the airplane. Just adds to the Russian look you are going for.

Fred said...

You gotta score some of those boots. Those are awesome! Cool helicopter ride. I am sure it was super safe to take that photo of the cargo you were carrying.

Julianne said...

That is so cool. And outlandish. You should be in a documentary.

Julie said...

Your life in a foreign country is WAY more exciting than my life in a foreign country.

Marcus said...

Petra, I am not a spy. Yet.
Casey, Can I commission a piece from you?
Gareth, I totally want a pair myself. I think it's reindeer.
Fred, I am the epitome of safety. Always.